Top Five of 2010
And while on popular new years topics, I thought a “Best Of” list was appropriate. As Fergie sang in a song blaring as Dreamforce, this year’s event was “the best one yet.” And while there were a lot of ‘best’ this year, I’ll focus on what I consider to be the best features release this year. (Disclaimer — obviously this list will be skewed by what my company uses & my skills as an Admin. By no means is am I downplaying other cool stuff, just my opinions.) So here goes…
5. Rich Text (Spring 10) – Very often, we want to call out specific things on a record. This was a simple & easy way to have rich text display on a page. We also use it on the user record to populate a personalized URL into everyone’s email signature!
4. Test Email Templates (Spring 10) – This one seemed like an obvious addition that had been missing for awhile that most of us admins had just found a work-around for (add internal users to your database & send the email to them). Having this is fantastic & being able to test from the template screen is a bonus!
3. Filter on lookup (Summer 10) – A huge win for both productivity & data quality!
2. Empty Chatter Emails (Winter 11) – For a tool that was touting productivity & reduced email clutter, the sending of empty Chatter emails was a huge turnoff. I think a lot of people were happy to see that they fixed this in the latest release.
1. Dashboard productivity (Summer 10) – Ok, I cheated a bit because I wrapped together the drag-and-drop, the grand totaling and the dynamic dashboards all into one. The drag-and-drop was the biggest win for me. Often getting tasked with building dashboards, the WYSIWYG interface was long overdue (now if only it was supported in Chrome). The ability to have totals on a table was a huge win. For too long, we had all been using the metric work-around, but that always ate up an extra element on the dashboard. Having it available to be included is awesome! As far as dynamic dashboards go – I haven’t implemented them yet, but I have a plethora of places I want to use this functionality. I wonder when we will get more than 3 of them.
What did I leave out that was a huge win for you?